From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] More splash problems
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 15:06:10
1 Nagatoro schreef:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I've got another "interesting" problem with the splash. It seems like
5 > no matter what I specify the computer always wants to use a 800x600
6 > resolution.
7 >
8 > At startup I get this (not word for word since showconsole won't play
9 > nicely):
10 > ---
11 > can't open config file /etc/splash/livecd-2005.1/800x600.cfg
12 > No 8bpp verbose pic found...
13 > Failed to get ...
14 > ---
15 >
16 Your problem seems to be the same one I had.
17 >
18 > dmesg:
19 > ---
20
21 > CONFIG_FB_VESA_DEFAULT_MODE="1280x1024@60"
24 > Does anyone have an idea as to what is wrong here? It used to work (some
25 > emerge -uDNav world 's ago...).
26
27 Yes... you see your kernel config for the default mode? It does not
28 specify a bit depth. Neither did mine. Change the setting in the kernel to
29
30 1280x1024-32@60
31
32 (or whatever your preferred resolution is, thereby specifying a bit
33 depth to the kernel config)
34
35 recompile the kernel, and try again, using the setting you want in
36 grub.conf, and it should work. At least, that's what fixed it for me.
37
38 This is not the way it's *supposed* to work-- the setting in the kernel
39 is supposed to be overridden by the setting in grub.conf. And for most
40 everybody, it seems to work that way. But in my experience, the setting
41 in grub.conf is ignored if the kernel config doesn't conform to it-- if
42 I haven't set a bit depth in the kernel, the kernel framebuffer settings
43 default to 8bpp, which the livecd theme does not support, causing the
44 livecd themes to fail (because the theme looks for 8bpp pix instead of
45 overriding the fallback to what I specified in grub.conf). Emergence
46 does support 8bpp, so that would work, but that's not what we're trying
47 to do.
48
49 It seems to be a bug, but if you could confirm that 'fixing' your kernel
50 setting fixes the problem for you, then that would help confirm that it
51 is a bug (as well as fixing your problem), although it seems to not
52 affect everyone for some reason (yet to be determined).
53
54 Holly
58 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list