From: mad.scientist.at.large@××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Booting minimal installer ISO on rx4640 and rx2660 fails
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2017 10:15:14
1 17. Aug 2017 03:36 by frank.scheiner@×××.de:
4 > Hi,
5 >
6 > I'm trying to boot my Itanium gear with the current minimal installer ISO [1] on CDROM but so far had no success at all. I also tested the oldest of the minimal installer ISOs [2] still available, also without success. For both my rx4640 and rx2660 I get the following output when trying to boot from the internal DVD (its access LED lights up shortly):
7 >
8 > ```
10 > Load of Internal Bootable DVD failed: Not Found
11 > Press any key to continue
12 > ```
13 >
14 > I've burned these ISOs with Brasero 3.10.0 on Ubuntu 14.04 and I can access the contents of the CDROMs there too. I could even extract the included kernel and initrd > itrd.2Fsquashfs_from_the_LiveCD
15
21 Last time i used it, Brasero didn't have an option to verify the just burned disk, you likely have a bad burn.  I always use k3b for just this reason, i.e. the option to verify the just burned disk.  This is particularly important for any install dvd as a corrupted dvd is a fine way to get a corrupted os.  The fact that other dvd media works for you suggest strongly that it's a problem with the dvd.  try again and make sure to verify the burn, even if the disk can check itself it's entirely possible to have burn errors that produce a correct checksum.  i've had just that happen with an update i downloaded and had to download 4 times to get  a correct version, the first 3 check summed correctly but had the same defect.
26 Dvd burns frequently go wrong, with my current media/burner they fail 5-10% of the time so far and that's typical in my experiance (though the age of my hardware is doubtless also part of such issues).  If it's important, verify the burn, i always do even if it's not code, and absolutely always, always with os install media, just too many opportunities for bizarre unreproducable problems if a couple of bits are wrong.