From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Build PowerPC binary packages on AMD64?
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 22:09:08
1 On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 2:48 PM, Bill Longman <bill.longman@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 08/16/2010 02:29 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >> Hi all,
4 >>    I know nothing about this sort of stuff so I don't know where to
5 >> even start looking. Thanks in advance for any pointers.
6 >>
7 >>    Here's the setup: My desktop machine is a new, fast Core i7 980x
8 >> processor. It is capable of doing emerge -e @world (including XFCE4,
9 >> Gnome and KDE) in around 4 hours. On the other hand my MythTV backend
10 >> server is an old PowerPC which takes literally days (2? 3? 4?) to do
11 >> the same thing with only fluxbox on the system. While this was OK a
12 >> few years ago it's not something I'm enjoying much anymore. (Did I
13 >> then?)
14 >>
15 >>    So, the question is can I somehow set up an environment on my AMD64
16 >> machine where I build PowerPC binary packages using emerge, ssh them
17 >> over to the Mac and then emerge them there to get the machine up to
18 >> date quickly? What do I read to understand how to do this?
19 >>
20 >>    Note that it's fine to build the kernel, ymboot and machine
21 >> specific stuff on the Mac as that's very minimal.
22 >
23 > You want to get your hands on the crossdev package. There's LOTS of
24 > stuff to know to get this to work right. But people use cross compilers
25 > every day all day.
29 Thanks Bill. First try points to a depreciated page:
30
31 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/embedded/cross-development.xml
32
33 which in turn points to something more recent:
34
35 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/embedded/handbook/
36
37 A quick read looks promising, other than a statement that says some
38 combination of tools might not work and no way to tell until you try.
39
40 None the less I should be able to play some games and maybe just
41 compile something very small and see if it runs, etc.
42
43 Thanks for the pointer.
44
45 Cheers,