From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE slow / console-kit-daemon POLKIT_IS_AUTHORITY failed
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 14:30:07
1 On Wed, 15 Jan 2014 14:17:18 +0000, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2
3 > > I get this on my desktop but not my laptop. I have tried for ages to
4 > > find out why it only fails on the desktop and gave up. Now I just
5 > > "chmod +x /usr/libexec/dbus-daemon-launch-helper" and it goes away,
6 > > until the next update.
7 >
8 > That's interesting. Now that I look at mine, which doesn't throw those
9 > errors, I find some unusual permissions:
10 >
11 > $ ls -l /usr/libexec/dbus-daemon-launch-helper
12 > -rws--x--- 1 root messagebus 316K Dec 1 17:59 /usr/libexec/dbus-daemon-
13 > launch-helper
14 >
15 > Is this the same as what doesn't work for you?
16
17 It is the same as on both the working laptop and non-working desktop?
18 Those are the permissions set by the dbus install, but one computer
19 objects to it. The desktop user is a member of every group that the
20 laptop user belongs to.
21
22 Yes, I know that's bad grammar and a preposition is something you should
23 never end a sentence with.
27 Neil Bothwick
28
29 Top Oxymorons Number 38: Government organization