From: Dan Cowsill <danthehat@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Gentoo router: Conntrack table full
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 03:16:20
1 Hi folks,
2
3 Today I had some really serious problems with my Gentoo router. I
4 could ping it, and all the network connections were in place and
5 functional, but no outside access. I looked into it and found that
6 the syslog was flooded with this:
9 Mar 22 21:25:55 localhost kernel: nf_conntrack: table full, dropping packet.
10 Mar 22 21:26:00 localhost kernel: printk: 11 messages suppressed.
11 Mar 22 21:26:00 localhost kernel: nf_conntrack: table full, dropping packet.
12 Mar 22 21:26:05 localhost kernel: printk: 16 messages suppressed.
15 These messages spanned a full 20 hours of the log. I understand that
16 conntrack is the connection tracking system that iptables uses. I
17 also understand that its maximum is something on the order of 65000
18 simultaneous connections. For a simple home network, I think we can
19 agree that I would probably never approach this number of connections
20 with normal use.
21
22 So my question is this: what could have caused the router's
23 connection tracker to overflow?
24 --
25 Dan Cowsill
26 http://www.danthehat.net