From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Safe way to test a new kernel?
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 18:36:10
1 >> > >> I need to test a kernel config change on a remote system.  Is there a
2 >> > >> safe way to do this?  The fallback thing in grub has never worked for
3 >> > >> me.  When does that ever work?
4 >> > >
5 >> > > You can press ESC in the Grub screen and it will take you to text-only
6 >>
7 >> mode.
8 >>
9 >> > >  There, you select an entry, press "e" and edit it.  Press ENTER when
10 >>
11 >> you're
12 >>
13 >> > > finished, and then press "b" to boot your modified entry.
14 >> > >
15 >> > > That way, you can boot whatever kernel you want if the current one
16 >>
17 >> doesn't
18 >>
19 >> > > work.
20 >> >
21 >> > I can't do that remotely though.  I'm probably asking for something
22 >> > that doesn't exist.
23 >> >
24 >> > - Grant
25 >>
26 >> Situations like these that made me decide with great conviction to always
27 >> deploy my servers virtualized, even if the box in question will only host a
28 >> single VM.
29 >>
30 >> Now, if I lost my intelligence for a couple of seconds and somehow ended up
31 >> with a VM that's no longer accessible remotely, I just connect to the
32 >> virtual console.
33 >>
34 >> The flip side? Now I'm getting too daring/careless, and the uptime now
35 >> drops below my (self-imposed) target of 99.99% :-P
36 >
37 > What do you do when you need to upgrade the host, rather than the guest?
38 >
39 > --
40 > Regards,
41 > Mick