From: Mark Shields <laebshade@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to tell portage about manual builds
Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2007 03:35:38
1 man portage
2
3 <snip>
4 package.provided
5 A list of packages (one per line) that portage
6 should
7 assume have been provided. Useful for porting to
8 non-
9 Linux systems. Portage will not attempt to update
10 a
11 package that is listed here unless another
12 package
13 explicitly requires a version that is newer than what
14 has
15 been listed. Basically, it's a list that replaces
16 the
17 emerge --inject syntax.
18
19 For example, if you manage your own copy of a 2.6kernel,
20 then you can tell portage that
21 'sys-kernel/development-
22 sources-2.6.7' is already taken care of and it should
23 get
24 off your back about it.
25
26 Virtual packages (virtual/*) should not be specified
27 in
28 package.provided. Depending on the type of virtual,
29 it
30 may be necessary to add an entry to the virtuals
31 file
32 and/or add a package that satisfies a virtual to
33 pack-
34 age.provided.
35
36 </snip>
37
38 Also, if you've already emerged it (maybe even manually how you make/make
39 install), you might try emerge --noreplace <package>, which should add the
40 ebuild to the world file (but not re-emerge the package itself). If the
41 package is already in the world file, then this option will do nothing.
42