From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
Cc: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] changed motherboard, no AHCI
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 02:14:29
1 120420 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2 > Am Freitag, 20. April 2012, 05:25:58 schrieb Philip Webb:
3 >> My motherboard went on the blink earlier this week.
4 >> I've now successfully installed a new one,
5 >> but now can't get the kernel to find the SATA hard disk ("803 etc").
6 >>
7 >> The problem seems to be that the kernel has AHCI enabled,
8 >> which was necessary for the old mobo,
9 >> but the new one's BIOS doesn't have an option to select AHCI.
10 > did you just look at the wrong place,
11 > because AHCI is a must-have, not a maybe or could be there.
12 > If your mobo has vista/win7 certification, it does support AHCI.
13 > Or is so horribly broken you should RMA ASAP.
14
15 It's an Asus P5G41T-M LX & the manual says :
16 "This motherboard supports Windows Vista/XP/7 OS".
17
18 The previous mobo (Asus P5K-VM) has a menu
19 Main -> IDE Configuration -> Configure SATA as [IDE]
20 with an option 'AHCI', which was enabled & the kernel booted properly;
21 its manual says "If you want to use the SATA drives as parallel ATA
22 physical storage, keep the default setting [IDE]",
23 but that caused the same problem that the kernel couldn't find the drive;
24 when I configured it as [AHCI], everything worked (since 2007).
25
26 The new manual has a menu
27 Main -> Storage Configuration -> ATA/IDE configuration [Enhanced]
28 which corresponds to a menu 'SATA configuration' in the old manual
29 & [Enhanced] opens another item 'Enhanced mode support on S-ATA',
30 which allows you to set Serial/Parallel/Both for ATA.
31
32 Since Ubuntu, Mandriva & System Rescue boot without any problem
33 & SR does find my LVM partitions & can mount them properly,
34 there must be settings which allow the kernel to find the HD with this mobo.
35 I will look them up & compare them all later today,
36 but any further advice is very welcome. Thanks so far.
40 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
41 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
42 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca