From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: using gnupic
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 20:36:38
1 maxim wexler <blissfix <at> yahoo.com> writes:
2
3 > Like to learn from others their experiences using
4 > gnupic tools.
5
6 Mostly use windoz based tools for Microchip embedded firmware
7 development. I'll install this and look at the support
8 for the 18F series. But I have access to many pic dev
9 boards for testing.
12 > What is the best programmer? DIY preferred. Serial or
13 > parallel. What sorts of pitfalls, tradeoffs?
14
15 MPlab ICD2 driven off of usb. Jtag is always the best device
16 for low level hardware debugging.
17
18 > Are some of the pic chips more linux-worthy than others?
19
20 This a joke? Pics do not have MMU, nor any sort of significant
21 memory resources. I do not know of any uClinux hacks using
22 uClinux on a pic, although you could if one wanted to,
23 I suppose.......
27 > I plan to use a K6 500MHz AMD as a dedicated pic
28 > development platform.
29
30 Um, you must have missed architecture class when minimalistic
31 risk processors were covered. The K6 is a 'CISC'
32 architecture, compatible with x86 architectures, the last
33 time I look....
34
35 Any tips on how to configure it for best results? USE flags etc?
36
37 You might ask here:
38 embedded.gentoo.org
41 I'd be curious to follow you acheivements in getting pic, as
42 in a Microchip 18F processor to run a mimimal linux kernel/rtos.
43
44 A very good rumor has it Microchips 24F series of micro controllers
45 will be accompanies by an embedded linux port, of some sort.
46
47 If you really, really are serious about pic developemnt using an
48 IDE, then read this article where the author outlines how to
49 hack support, via a cross compiler into Eclipse, for a particular
50 microcontroller:
51
52 "Developing Eclipse Plugins" in the March '06 issue of The LinuxJournal.com
53 Article by Mike McCollough.
54
55 I do sort of follow these sort of issues with keen interest.....
59 James
63 > -mw
64 >
66 > Do You Yahoo!?
67 > Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
68 > http://mail.yahoo.com
74 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list