From: John Covici <covici@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] unexpected problems when switching c compilers
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2016 22:22:13
1 On Tue, 25 Oct 2016 16:45:22 -0400,
2 Mickaël Bucas wrote:
3 >
4 > [1 <text/plain; UTF-8 (quoted-printable)>]
5 > [2 <text/html; UTF-8 (quoted-printable)>]
6 > 2016-10-25 20:02 GMT+02:00 Miroslav Rovis <miro.rovis@××××××××××××××.hr>:
7 >
8 > On 161025-12:02-0400, John Covici wrote:
9 > > Hi. I finally decided to switch the c compiler from 4.9.3 to 5.3.0
10 > > and ran into some strange problems. Although the kernel compiled
11 > > successfully, several packages in my last update of world got
12 > > undefined references, one of which was mktoolnix and also mpv. Now I
13 > > did solve them by re-emerging the packages containing the references
14 > > and that fix things, although I had to do it in stages, getting past
15 > > one and finding another one.
16 > >
17 > > So, my question is, is there away to fix this throuought /usr/lib
18 > > without having to re-emerge world or something, or do I just wait and
19 > > take them one at a time during future updates?
20 > >
21 > > Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
22 >
23 > I've been using the 5.x since long months, since I'm on ~amd64. I
24 > remember vaguely there was an item in the eselect news about it, and
25 > links there and things. It should still be in your news list.
26 >
27 > There was probably an Application Binary Interface change between the 2 compilers, for example [1]
28 > The news from portage [2] explain how to use revdep-rebuild
29 >
30 > All I know about these problems, I've learn from Diego Petteno's blog [3] and the articles about Application Binary Interface
31 > I've myself encountered this kind of problem even between minor versions of GCC when the C++11 ABI was not stable.
32 >
33 > I think you have some happy compiling ahead !
34 >
35 > Best regards
36 > Mickaël Bucas
37
38 Thanks, I will check the news item and see what happens.
41 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
42 How do
43 you spend it?
44
45 John Covici