From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] freezing a package
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 00:18:42
1 Michael P. Soulier wrote:
2 > On 19/12/09 Albert Hopkins said:
5 >> Create an local overlay. Put the ebuild in there.
8 > I'll need to read up on how. The section on overlays left me with the
9 > impression that overlays were for experimental code, not for keeping private
10 > copies of packages.
11 >
12 > Anyway, I think I'll remove it from the world file, and mask it out, and look
13 > into the overlay. At least it will be ignored when I emerge world.
14 >
15 > I found that the > in the package.mask wasn't always enough though, as if I
16 > used the --update argument to emerge and my version wasn't in the portage tree
17 > anymore, emerge would get silly and offer to downgrade.
18 >
19 > Mike
22 Hmmm, you may misunderstand something on this. You need to leave that
23 in there. The devs are not removing the packages from portage. Once
24 you mask it so that it will stick with the versions that work with your
25 card, you will be fine after that. The only updates will be the ones
26 that are needed.
27
28 I have a old FX-5200. After I put the line in my package.mask file, I
29 haven't seen a update in a good while. I did however have to update
30 when I updated my kernel a good while back. That is one reason to leave
31 that in the world file. If you update your kernel later on, you may
32 need to install a newer version of the nvidia drivers.
33
34 Unless the devs are removing the nvidia drivers from the tree, you
35 shouldn't need a overlay. You can do it that way but I'm not sure why
36 you need to.
37
38 Dale
39