From: Benno Schulenberg <benno.schulenberg@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] working with overlays
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 12:04:17
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 20:09:55 +0100, Benno Schulenberg wrote:
3 > > mkdir -p /usr/local/portage/category/package
4 > > ## Dont't copy all ebuilds, just the one to be tweaked:
5 >
6 > Unless you are really short of disk space, what's wrong with
7 > copying the complete package directory - it makes life much
8 > simpler.
9
10 There's nothing wrong with it, but it makes life harder: now I must
11 remember which of the ebuilds in /usr/local/portage/*/* I have
12 patched and which not. It's much easier to have only ebuilds in
13 there that I've actually changed.
14
15 > If you just want to add a patch, you can do it with bashrc, no
16 > need to mess with overlays:
17 > http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-339019.html
18
19 (Or http://dev.gentoo.org/~solar/portage_misc/bashrc.autopatch for
20 the original.)
21
22 Well, yes, that is one way. But mostly I do not want things to be
23 autopatched: I just want to change this one version and not any
24 newer one. And I do not want to have to remember to remove
25 /usr/portage/local/patches/category/package afterwards; patch,
26 emerge and forget is easier.
27
28 Also, when using overlays 'emerge -pev world' will immediately show
29 which packages have been patched (because coming from my overlay).
30 When autopatching, one has to check /usr/portage/local/patches/
31 separately.
32
33 > There's a script floating around that will copy an ebuild to your
34 > overlay and bump its version.
35
36 Found it here: http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=445501
37 Since this script is a bit too verbose for my taste, I've continued
38 working on my own. Using the post_src_unpack() function mentioned
39 by Bo, the inserting of patches becomes pretty easy. See the
40 attached file. Suggestions and improvements are welcome.
41
42 > But neither of these are related to the original
43 > question, which was about preserving old versions.
44
45 Yes, sorry for changing focus; I was reacting to this:
46
47 > > > Overlays are there specifically for people who need
48 > > > something different from the standard portage tree.
49
50 Benno

ovlay.sh application/x-shellscript