From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Pending layman directory "relocation"
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2010 19:17:46
1 On Monday 01 March 2010 20:30:24 Tanstaafl wrote:
2 > On 2010-03-01 1:08 PM, 7v5w7go9ub0o wrote:
3 > > So layman users choosing alternative A. now may want to add a step;
4 > > after moving the directory, put a soft link in the /usr/local/portage
5 > > pointing to the new location; i.e.
6 > >
7 > > cd /usr/local/portage; ln -s /var/lib/layman layman
8 >
9 > Thanks, I was planning on doing the same thing and glad to be validated...
10 >
11 > Question: the news itme also mentioned the reason as something like
12 > 'layman violates the general rule that nothing in portage should touch
13 > anything in /usr/local'...
14 >
15 > Well... my local overlays (that I set up a long time ago) are there...
16 > and portage obviously 'touches' those, so... should I move them as well?
17
18 As it turns out, portage is hard-coded to skip over @PORT_DIR/local/ for the
19 simple reason that your personal local overlay goes there.
20
21 I have $PORT_DIR here redefined to be /var/portage/ and layman goes
22 /var/portage/local/layman/, mostly because I think FHS is a good standard and
23 it says /usr/ should be able to be mounted read-only.
24
25 In short, if you put an explicit entry in make.conf for the layman overlays,
26 you will be fine as you are no longer relying on a default that can change.
30 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com