From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] why does Udisks require Lvm2 ?
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2019 18:17:54
1 On Monday, 24 June 2019 18:00:29 BST Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Monday, 24 June 2019 16:59:08 BST Grant Taylor wrote:
3
4 > > > On this box, which does need lvm for RAID-1 on two SSDs:
5 > > Do you /need/ LVM? Or is it extra that comes with device-mapper?
6 >
7 > No, I do actually use lvm to base a raid-1 file system on. I haven't
8 > considered raid-1 without lvm; is that feasible?
9
10 Almost totally. They two are separate functions with synergistic interaction.
11 RAID 1 offers redundancy by mirroring data between two block devices. LVM
12 offers a flexible partitioning scheme where you can add space, move, snapshot,
13 etc. data using a logical software layer to manage their storage across
14 partitions and physical disks. I've put together RAID 1 disks with no LVM and
15 used LVM with no RAID.
16
17 NOTE: To confuse things you can instead use LVM's built in 'RAID
18 functionality' - see below.
19
20 I recall reading somewhere that SSDs are better used with LVM's natively
21 configured RAID functionality, rather than a separate RAID layer, which in a
22 mirrored RAID it will cause accelerated wear due to the way RAID metadata are
23 mirrored between block devices. I don't think I've ever used LVM's RAID
24 capability, but it would probably boil down to running:
25
26 lvcreate --mirrors 1 --type raid 1 -n LV_myRAID VG_blah-blah
27
28 Others more knowledgeable in these technologies could chime in to correct me
29 no doubt.
30
31 PS. LVM-RAID uses the kernel's mdraid, but with less tools to manage the RAID
32 configuration than mdadm offers:
33
34 https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/150644/raiding-with-lvm-vs-mdraid-pros-and-cons
35 --