From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT - More Router Advice] Cheap Router with decent/reliable VLAN support
Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 21:08:32
1 On 2011-05-28 8:42 PM, Gregory Shearman wrote:
2 > In linux.gentoo.user, Todd Goodman wrote:
3 >> * Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> [110528 12:43]:
4 >>> Anyone? Will one of the FLOSS builds for the cheap Cable/DSL routers
5 >>> support VLANs on the different built-in router ports (ie, Tomato, DD-WRT
6 >>> or OpenWRT)?
7 >>>
8 >>> Looking forward to any suggestions/ideas...
9 >>
10 >> Hi, I'm pretty sure OpenWRT supports VLANs.
11 >>
12 >> I started using it on a Buffalo WHR-G300N (I think, not at home to check
13 >> right now.) Cheap and I didn't expect much but it works great (far
14 >> better than any Linksys or trendnet products I've purchased and run
15 >> their firmware on.)
16 >
17 > I'll second that. I run a Buffalo Nfiniti WZR-HP-G300NH with openwrt
18 > installed. It is VLAN capable and has Gigabyte ethernet and b/g/n wifi.
19 > It also has a USB socket for extra disk storage if needed (or any other
20 > peripheral you fancy). It just sits in the corner and does its job. It
21 > is also very cheap.
22
23 Thanks for the reco guys... will probably go with it...
24
25 Is the VLAN configurable via the GUI? Or is it commandline only? I'm not
26 exactly a whiz with this stuff...
27
28 Also, any pointers to OpenWRT docs that cover creating VLANs? I
29 obviously want to make sure I do it right... I'd hate to *think* I was
30 secure and then find out the hard way I goofed when setting it up... ;)