From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Accessing mailserver with ssh
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2006 12:46:40
1 On 18/06/06, Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de> wrote:
2
3 > Nope. It acts like a telnet client after establishing an SSL connection:
4 > ---snip
5 > hw@sub00421 ~ $ openssl s_client -connect pop.gmail.com:pop3s
6 > CONNECTED(00000003)
7 > [lots of info snipped]
8 > +OK Gpop ready for requests from 123.45.67.89 n23pf2387435nfc
9 > ---snip
10 >
11 > For your test case: POP3 is usually on port 110, POP3S is usually on
12 > port 995. If the SSL connection isn't set up on connection level at
13 > start, but on an application configured stage afterwards, however,
14 > s_client wouldn't work. An example would be STARTTLS on IMAP (not
15 > IMAPS) and SMTP.
16
17 Excellent! It works :-)
18
19 Well, gmail is giving me trouble with USER & PASS, but I have managed
20 to connect to other maileservers on port 995 successfully.
21
22 Just to confirm: Are the username and password using this client
23 transmitted with SSL/TLS encryption?
24 --
25 Regards,
26 Mick