From: Jarry <mr.jarry@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] python-updater: updating cracklib forever...
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2014 20:17:35
1 On 06-Mar-14 20:59, Daniel Frey wrote:
2 >>
3 >> If I understand it correctly, then "-python" means package is
4 >> compiled *without* python-support. So a) it should not depend
5 >> on python at all and b) recompilation does not change anything...
6 >>
7 > I wonder if python-updater can even tell the package is built without
8 > the python USE flag. It sounds to me like it can't, and it notices that
9 > modules are missing, so it adds it to the rebuild list.
10 >
11 > Easy way to find out is emerge cracklib with the python USE flag
12 > enabled. If python-updater gives an all-clear after that, maybe it's a bug?
13
14 I did try it. When I recompiled "cracklib" with "python" flag,
15 python-updater was satisfied. But when I removed that flag,
16 as soon as "emerge --update --newuse" recompiled cracklib
17 it was all back again...
18
19 It looks so that python-updater insists on having python-support
20 in cracklib. If it does not find any ABI it thinks recompilation
21 could "fix" it (without checking actuall cracklib use-flags):
22
23 * check: PYTHON_ABIS [Previous Python ABIs: , new Python ABIs: 2.7]
24
25 You see? Previous ABIs none, so it wants to compile cracklib
26 to include python ABIs 2.7. But with "-python" USE flag it
27 will never be there, no matter how many times cracklib will
28 be recompilled.
29
30 Seems to me like bug in python-updater. It should recompile
31 cracklib only if it was compiled with *some* ABIs, but older
32 than the new one. But not if cracklib was compiled with no
33 python-ABIs at all...
34
35 Jarry
36 --
38 This mailbox accepts e-mails only from selected mailing-lists!
39 Everything else is considered to be spam and therefore deleted.