From: Andreas Fink <finkandreas@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Jobs and load-average
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2023 10:32:54
1 On Thu, 16 Feb 2023 09:53:30 +0000
2 Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3
4 > On Wednesday, 15 February 2023 13:18:24 GMT Rich Freeman wrote:
5 >
6 > > First, keep in mind that --jobs=16 + -j16 can result in up to 256
7 > > (16*16) tasks running at once. Of course, that is worst case and most
8 > > of the time you'll have way less than that.
9 >
10 > Yes, I was aware of that, but why didn't --load-average=32 take precedence?
11 This only means that emerge would not schedule additional package job
12 (where a package job means something like `emerge gcc`) when load
13 average > 32, howwever if a job is scheduled it's running, independently
14 of the current load.
15 While having it in MAKEOPTS, it would be handled by the make system,
16 which schedules single build jobs, and would stop scheduling additional
17 jobs, when the load is too high.
18
19 Extreme case:
20 emerge chromium firefox qtwebengine
21 --> your load when you do this is pretty much close to 0, i.e. all 3
22 packages are being merged simultaneously and each will be built with
23 -j16.
24 I.e. for a long time you will have about 3*16=48 single build jobs
25 running in parallel, i.e. you should see a load going towards 48, when
26 you do not have anything in your MAKEOPTS.
27
28 Cheers
29 Andreas