From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] syslog-ng: how to read the log files
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 19:03:19
1 Hello, Lee.
2
3 On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 07:26:05PM +0100, lee wrote:
4 > Hi,
5
6 > how do you read the log files when using syslog-ng?
7
8 > The log file seem to be some sort of binary that doesn't display too
9 > well in less, and there doesn't seem to be any way to read them.
10
11 When I try "less /var/log/messages", less gives me what is basically a
12 hex dump of the file. I'm assuming you see the same.
13
14 less searches part of the buffer (presumably the first few KB) and if it
15 finds non-printable characters, uses an input filter first to convert to
16 the hex dump. This same filter is what enables less to expand
17 compressed files and man pages.
18
19 What I do is to disable this input filter with
20
21 # LESSOPEN="" less /var/log/messages
22
23 . It is evident that every now and then, syslog-ng writes a stream of
24 several hundred null bytes to /var/log/messages. It seems to do this
25 when logging the system startup messages. This is probably a bug.
26
27 By the way, the LESSOPEN="" trick can sometimes leave your display
28 corrupted, displaying wierd glyphs on the screen when you type. To
29 restore your screen, output ^o. To do this, type (blindly)
30
31 # echo <ctrl-v><crtl-o><CR>
32
33 .
34
35 > --
36 > Again we must be afraid of speaking of daemons for fear that daemons
37 > might swallow us. Finally, this fear has become reasonable.
40 Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).