From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Migrate from rsync to git for emerge --sync?
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2021 21:15:11
1 On 2021-10-12, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Tue, Oct 12, 2021 at 4:02 PM Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Despite what multiple blog and wiki pages claim, it seems it's not as
5 >> simple as editing you gentoo.conf file. Do I need to wipe the contents
6 >> of /usr/portage and start with an emptry directory there?
7 >
8 > I believe so. I'd just rename the directory and let it get
9 > re-created. Then you can delete the old one when you are confident
10 > you don't need it.
11
12 Yep, I renamed the old one, switched the repo conf to the new /var/db
13 location, and let emrge --sync clone a new repo directory using
14 git.
15
16 The 'git clone' finished OK, but the sync still failed (with a very
17 obtuse Python exception and stack dump) when it got to the news
18 processing step. After a bit of googling I found a hint that failure
19 happens when there is no profile selected. I ran 'eselet profile set
20 N'. After that, the sync completed OK.
21
22 That seems like something that should be documented somewhere...
23
24 I'll see if I can find an appropriate spot in the Wiki.