From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] =dev-lang/spidermonkey-60.5.2_p0-r4 fails @world update
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2020 17:20:04
1 urpion@×××.com wrote:
2 > On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 04:52:30PM +0100, Michael wrote:
3 >> On Friday, 19 June 2020 16:35:27 BST urpion@×××.com wrote:
4 >>> On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 09:45:59AM -0500, Dale wrote:
5 >>>> Jack wrote:
6 >>>>> Not far enough back. You need to show the actual error, not the line
7 >>>>> "Error1:" which gets printed after the error.
8 >>>> And depending on the number of cores/threads and other emerge settings,
9 >>>> it can be a dozen, two dozen lines or sometimes even further back than
10 >>>> that. With CPUs having a dozen or so cores/threads, it's amazing that
11 >>>> some stuff compiles at all. Prime example, recent thread about Pam
12 >>>> updates.
13 >>>>
14 >>>> OP, if needed, tar the whole error log and attach it. Just don't post
15 >>>> it elsewhere and link to it tho. After a while, it's gone or a person
16 >>>> finds the log but not this thread with the solution.
17 >>>>
18 >>>> Dale
19 >>>>
20 >>>> :-) :-)
21 >>> Ah ha. Yes Thank you. Sorry, I've never been good with e-mail:-P
22 >>
23 >> NP, did you get an OOM error in dmesg when this happened by any chance? You
24 >> don't seem to have much RAM, you have no swap and the number of jobs is
25 >> relatively high for memory hungry compiles.
26 >>
27 >> It could be a bug, but unless a report has been filed already in BGO to this
28 >> effect, I suggest you add a swapfile, enable it, and try again with
29 >> MAKEOPTS="-j1" or "-j2". Please ask if you need more detail.
30 >
31 > I was thinking about -j1. I tried -j4. I thought I didn't need swap with >=4GB
32 > of RAM, but it makes sense. My machine kinda crawls trying to build that
33 > package. Oh man, I'll have to re-partition:-(
38 Create a swap file. I'm not sure about the speed compared to a swap
39 partition but if you have room somewhere, no need to repartition.
40
41 I might add, 4GBs is not much nowadays.  When I had 16GBs before my
42 upgrade to 32GBs, I'd sometimes run out of memory.  Of course, I have
43 portage's work directory on tmpfs but the bigger stuff was on hard
44 drives still.  Some packages need a lot of memory.  Even with 32GBs, I
45 still have some compile on hard drive and it uses a lot of memory just
46 for the processes themselves.  The more jobs, the more it uses.  I still
47 have a large swap partition even with 32GBs.  If LOo, Firefox and a
48 couple others hit at the same time, it uses swap at times.
49
50 Just something to think on.
51
52 Dale