From: thelma@×××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] xf86OpenConsole: Cannot open virtual console 1 (Permission denied)
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 2021 19:38:48
1 On 2/7/21 12:26 PM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Sun, 7 Feb 2021 12:10:50 -0700, thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
3 >
4 >> On 2/7/21 4:09 AM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
5 >>> On Sun, 7 Feb 2021 01:28:39 -0700, thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
6 >>>
7 >>>> I disable "slim" login manager and try not to use any display manger
8 >>>> (for simplicity). I start X from:
9 >>>>
10 >>>> ~/.bash_profile
11 >>>> exec startx -- vt1
12 >>>>
13 >>>> but now when I try to ssh as user, I get:
14 >>>>
15 >>>> (==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
16 >>>> (EE)
17 >>>> Fatal server error:
18 >>>> (EE) xf86OpenConsole: Cannot open virtual console 1 (Permission
19 >>>> denied)
20 >>>
21 >>> Of course you are, because you are still trying to start X. If you
22 >>> must start X from .bash_profile, you need something like
23 >>>
24 >>> [ -z "$SSH_TTY" ] && startx ...
25 >>>
26 >>> to only start it when not using SSH.
27 >>
28 >> What do you suggest?
29 >> I was planning to get away from "slim" as I think it is getting more
30 >> unstable; I just need a simple system to start X, log-in over ssh and
31 >> use x2go session.
32 >
33 > Why do you need to start X, doesn't x2go run its own X session? You are
34 > trying to start X in an SSH session, which is what gives your error. The
35 > line I suggested runs startx only if you are not logging in via SSH. No
36 > display manager is involved.
37
38 Maybe I wasn't clear. No, I don't start any X over ssh.
39
40 When I'm directly in front of the PC and I have a log-in screen and type user ID + passwords
41 I was under impression that "startxfce4" would run automatically when from .xinitrc
42 ~/.xinitrc
43 exec startxfce4
44
45 but it doesn't, when I log-in the XFCE4 is not starting automatically, I have to type manually: startxfce4