From: bjlockie@××××××.ca
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo LiveUSB
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 20:29:51
1 > On Friday 11 January 2008, Anthony E. Caudel wrote:
2 >> 2nd question: I must be dense on this one so someone help me out.
3 >> Since a USB stick is seen as a hard drive, why can't I do a standard
4 >> install to it? Is it because until lately they haven't been large
5 >> enough? I'm thinking of using an 8GB one.
6 >
7 > There's a few reasons:
8 >
9 > 1. The memory used on those devices has a limited life - about 100,000
10 > writes for the good ones and maybe 10,000 for the bad ones. With a
11 > standard install, frequent writes are the norm (think cache and other
12 > similar things). This usually ends up at the same spot on the disk,
13 > meaning your new install will last about a month if you are lucky.
14 > There are ways around this, for instance how a LiveCD does things.
15 >
16 > 2. Booting off it is a pain. You need drivers for the entire USB stack
17 > at boot time, which usually means a ginormous initrd.
18 >
19 > 3. Size, which you mentioned
20 >
21 > --
22 > Alan McKinnon
23 > alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
24 > --
25 > gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list
29 Does desktop RAM get constantly refreshed while powered and it doesn't
30 need to keep any data when not powered?
31 Is that the difference?
35 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list