From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Phonon + PulseAudio Problem
Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 20:27:29
1 On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 1:02 PM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de> wrote:
2 [snip]
3 > I don't do professional audio.  I have a normal PC.  And just like I
4 > sometimes use a synth in Windows (I'm just a hobbyist), I'd like to do the
5 > same in Linux.
6
7 You can; but you have to use special software, because yours is a
8 special case. The normal desktop/laptop user does not use a synth.
9
10 > ALSA/Pulse needing third-party stuff just to get basics right (acceptable
11 > latency; not *ultra* low latency, just acceptable one) is a sign that
12 > they're not designed right.
13
14 Your definition of "acceptable" is *ultra* low to me, and many others.
15 To me acceptable latency means that the audio system does not waste my
16 laptop/phone battery.
17
18 > And in the end, you know what?  Even if OSS4 had a broken design, it's still
19 > better, because it works better.
20
21 This is your principal problem: you think your use-case is universal,
22 and it's not. To me Alsa+PulseAudio works better because it allows the
23 battery of my laptop to last for hours while I see a movie with my
24 bluetooth headset. With the latencies you want, that's not possible. I
25 believe my use-case is more general.
26
27 >  At least it gets the basics right.  Other
28 > operating systems are much more advanced in that manner. It's ALSA that
29 > holds Linux audio back.
30
31 Jack uses ALSA. From the Jack FAQ page (http://jackaudio.org/faq):
32
33 <quote>
34 Doesn't use JACK add latency?
35
36 There is NO extra latency caused by using JACK for audio input and
37 output. When we say none, we mean absolutely zero. The only impact of
38 using JACK is a slight increase in the amount of work done by the CPU
39 to process a given chunk of audio, which means that in theory you
40 could not get 100% of the processing power that you might get it if
41 your application(s) used ALSA or CoreAudio directly. However, given
42 that the difference is less than 1%, and that your system will be
43 unstable before you get close to 80% of the theoretical processing
44 power, the effect is completely disregardable.
45 </quote>
46
47 ALSA works great. And for regular users, with PulseAudio both are full
48 of awesome awesomeness. For your use-case, you should try Jack.
49
50 Regards.
51 --
52 Canek Peláez Valdés