From: Damien Sticklen <ubiquitous1980@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Ethernet card not working, tried tulip drivers...
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 10:38:59
1 Marcus Wanner wrote:
2 > On 10/27/2009 7:38 PM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >> On Wednesday 28 October 2009 01:32:07 Marcus Wanner wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> Hi!
6 >>>
7 >>> I just followed the (excellent, easily understandable) gentoo
8 >>> installation handbook up to chapter 10, where it says to reboot. I did
9 >>> so, but I had the same problem as the user here:
10 >>> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-networking-3/networking-eth0-
11 >>>
12 >>> does-not-exist-gentoo-349330/
13 >>>
14 >>> As suggested in there, I have recompiled the kernel with the tulip
15 >>> drivers (everything under the tulip subtree in make menuconfig), copied
16 >>> it to /boot, and booted it, but it still gives the same message. I have
17 >>> verified that I am booting the newly compiled kernel with the tulip
18 >>> drivers, but it still doesn't work.
19 >>>
20 >>> Note that I do not have the same ethernet card as is mentioned in the
21 >>> link above, and have not been able to find out exactly what it's name
22 >>> is, besides the fact that the name includes "Tornado". Also note
23 >>> that it
24 >>> worked fine in the Gentoo minimal installation cd.
25 >>>
26 >>> To sum it up: How do I figure out what the name of my card is, and
27 >>> after
28 >>> that, what driver do I need?
29 >>>
30 >>
31 >> Post this output:
32 >>
33 >> lspci
34 >> dmesg | grep <something_relevant>
35 >>
36 > lscpi returns command not found, don't know what you mean by the dmesg
37 > thing. dmesg is working properly, if that's what you want to know.
38 > Thanks!
39 >
40 > Marcus
41 >
42 Marcus,
43
44 Are you using the lspci command as root?
45
46 Thanks,
47
48 Damien