From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to convert and watch dav video file?
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 17:00:50
1 On 16 Jan 2014, at 12:19 pm, Gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > I have to watch a lot of dav video files and possibly convert
4 > them to a more common video format like avi or mp4.
5 > ...
6 > P.S. My vlc does not understands this format.
7
8 Have you tried viewing them in mplayer?
9
10 IMO ffmpeg or mplayer are the correct tools for conversion - my instinct says that Handbrake is not.
11
12 In another comment you report some error messages. I think your video files are recordings created by a handheld video camera - it's possible there are bugs in the video it creates.
13
14 At least if you use ffmpeg you'll be aware of these warnings - if the converted video plays, then fine, but at least you have the opportunity to tweak the settings and reduce the errors to the minimum. I think a GUI app like Handbrake will only hide the errors from you.
15
16 Stroller.