From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Perms of /etc/cron.*/
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2017 20:43:43
1 On 28/01/2017 22:11, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
2 > I was surprised by this message on oss-security:
3 >
4 > http://www.openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2017/01/28/2
5 >
6 > Of course this seems to be a serious flaw in portage, but here I'd like
7 > to just follow a tangent and ask: why should these directories be 0750?
8 > Mine are definitely 0755, and I think the stricter setting is just
9 > security by obscurity.
10 >
11 > What is your opinion?
14 It's not security by obscurity, there really are good reasons for the
15 suggested permissions.
16
17 The cron.allow and cron.dent files allow specific user to have and run
18 crontabs, but does nothing to prevent other users from looking at them.
19
20 There are valid cases where denying read access to crontabs is
21 desirable, for example a command run from cron requires a password and
22 the only way to provide it is on the command line. Such programs exist,
23 and the cron app provides a way to limit exposure.
29 Alan McKinnon
30 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com