From: David Busby <busby@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Samba/Cups
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 06:37:38
1 Nick Rout wrote:
2
3 > On Mon, 2004-12-06 at 21:58 -0800, David Busby wrote:
4 >
5 >>I've got these:
6 >>
7 >>imperium samba # qpkg -I -v |egrep -i 'cups|samba'
8 >>net-print/cups-1.1.20-r5 *
9 >>net-fs/samba-3.0.8 *
10 >>
11 >>packages, and the printer is shared via Samba, I can print test pages
12 >>from Windows OK. Other print jobs take a real long time. Two pages
13 >>takes a while, eight takes way too long (12m)! I can see traffic in the
14 >>samba log that the page is being submitted, and in the cupsd log that
15 >>there is data, it just takes a long time to get there. Printing from
16 >>the Linux machine is fast. My samba log level is 3, but that's no too
17 >>much to slow it down like this, is it?. The printer is an HP DeskJet
18 >>5550, is only slow via samba. The cupsd driver is the HP New 1.1
19 >>driver. What else can I look at?
22 > sounds like a reverse dns problem to me. if cups wants to for some
23 > reason find the name of the connecting machine, and a reverse dns lookup
24 > times out, then you get this sort of delay.
25 >
26 > just a semi-educated guess, check it out :-)
29 So here is a solution, I'll write a paper on it soon.
30 I googled some more and discovered that I could use http:// based
31 printing (CUPS/IPP) it was called, not my bag though. So futher digging
32 indicated an SP2 problem (go figure). I know SP2 has a firewall, I
33 disabled this firewall. Here is what happend.
34
35 09:29pm selected print from Firefox to my samba printer, 8 page HTML
36 document
37
38 09:45pm perhaps my RTVScan.exe is slowing down the spool file?,
39 disabled, no change
40
41 10:12pm only 200K has spooled (according to the Printer window in
42 Windows). The print spooler process was chewing on 12% of my cpu.
43
44 10:18pm I discover the SP2 issue, I disable the Windows firewall.
45
46 10:21pm all 1.2 mb of the job had spooled, printer started printing.
47 10:22pm finished
48
49 yea man I'll tell you what, it's that dang-ol firewall man, talkin bout
50 slow down man, it's just crazy man.
51
52 /djb
58 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list