From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: Gentoo Users List <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] SSH xterm not working properly during install
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2020 02:02:40
1 I normally install Gentoo by manually typing in stuff, on the target
2 machine, as per the docs. This is painfull. Today I decided to ssh
3 into the install, and cut + paste stuff into an ssh xterm into the
4 install. This went flying along really fast until I went to emerge
5 after having updated make.conf. I got a slew of weird errors.
6
7 It turns out that make.conf was majorly butchered after I had done
8 some "simple" edits over ssh. This seems to be a terminfo problem, so
9 it may apply to more than just nano. But see...
10 https://serverfault.com/questions/329154/ssh-garbling-characters-in-vim-nano-on-remote-server
11 https://github.com/microsoft/WSL/issues/1436
12
13 I don't understand the workings of terminfo so my 3-part question is...
14
15 1) Can I do an incantation on the laptop (install machine) to make it
16 understand my desktop's xterm?
17
18 2) Can I do an incantation on the desktop's xterm, or install another
19 terminal, to make its output understandable to the target machine?
20
21 3) Or do I have to pull the laptop onto my desk, and type in stuff
22 manually for everything nano-related during the install?
25 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
26 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications