From: Indexer <indexer@××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Constraining X display resolutions
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 23:58:10
1 On 27/04/2010, at 8:48 AM, Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
2
3 > Am Montag, 26. April 2010 schrieb Peter Humphrey:
4 >> Hello list,
5 >>
6 >> My monitor is 1600 x 1200 but I like to run it at 1400 x 1050 (anno
7 >> domini etc.). So far, though, KDE 4 doesn't remember the resolution at
8 >> shutdown so it restarts at 1600 x 1200. I have to go through the
9 >> rigmarole of setting it again every time I log in. I have raised a bug
10 >> report but I don't suppose it's very high on anyone's list.
11 >>
12 >> Meanwhile, is there an entry I can make in xorg.conf, or elsewhere, to
13 >> force KDE to display just the single resolution, 1400 x 1050?
14 >
15 > You haven't told us what kind of monitor that is, but it sounds like it's a
16 > flatscreen. In that case you should definitely run it on its native
17 > resolution, or else your display will be blurry and strain your eyes far more.
18 > However, Linux GUIs are very good at geometric upscaling, so I suggest
19 > increasing font and icon sizes.
20 > --
21 > Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
22 > What do you call a dead bee? - A was.
23
24 The best way to achieve this would be to set your resolution manually in xorg.conf, rather than using the KDE4 tool.
25
26 William