From: "John J. Foster" <Gentoo-User@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] grub passwords - how do I limit OS selection?
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 21:04:12
1 On Sun, Jul 30, 2006 at 07:09:41AM -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 > I would like to limit OS selection at boot time. The machine has
4 > Gentoo and Windows. Gentoo *must* be the booted OS unless a password
5 > is entered. I have tried the password feature in grub but it does not
6 > implement this feature. It implements changing boot time kernel
7 > options, but not OS choice as far as I can tell.
8 >
9 > I also tried adding the hiddenmenu option in grub but it seems that
10 > with hiddenmenu turned on grub never accepts a password.
11 >
12 > Is there a way to implement what I need? If you can provide an
13 > example that would be great.
14 >
15 > NOTE: I currently do this be editing the grub file itself but I'm
16 > looking for something more sophisticated since I'd like my wife to be
17 > able to boot Windows but not my son.
18 >
19 > Thanks all,
20 > Mark
21
22 Mark,
23
24 Unless I'm reading your needs wrong, I think you need the "lock" command
25 as well as the "password" command.
26
27 http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html#password
28 http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html#lock
29
30 HTH,
31 festus
32 --
33 Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.