From: Alexander Skwar <listen@×××××××××××××××.name>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Encripting /home
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 11:58:13
1 Richard Fish schrieb:
2 > Alexander Skwar wrote:
3 >
4 >>Richard Fish schrieb:
7 >>>Pupeno wrote:
8 >>>
9 >>>
10 >>>
11 >>>>>I use the dm-crypt from the kernel....
12 >>>>>
13 >>>>>
14 >>>>>
15 >>>>>
16 >>>>I've read that it is unsecure and I also read that it is not yet vory well
17 >>>>suported.
18 >>>>
19 >>>>
20 >>>>
21 >>>>
22 >>>Dm-crypt is fairly well supported, since it is in the kernel, but I find
23 >>>it to be harder to setup
24 >>>
25 >>>
26 >>
27 >>hard to setup? How? What's hard about it?
28 >>
29 >>You just encrypt the block device and create an fs on it.
30 >>
31 >>/sbin/lvcreate -nToBeEnc -L5g sys \
32 >> && echo 'sekret' | /bin/cryptsetup create Crypted /dev/sys/ToBeEnc \
33 >> && mkfs -t reiser4 /dev/mapper/Crypted \
34 >> && mount /dev/mapper/Crypted /some/where
35 >>
36 >>Obviously, the lvcreate and mkfs steps are just a one time step :)
41 > First, I did not say dm-crypt was "hard to setup". I said I find it
42 > harder to be setup than loop-AES.
43
44 Yes, you're right. But since dm-crypt is so easy to setup with
45 cryptsetup, I can't imagine how much more easy you want to have
46 it.
47
48 > Have you used both loop-AES and dm-crypt? I have.
49
50 No. dm-crypt is good enough for me. No need for something else.
51
52 Is it possible to encrypt the complete block device with loop-AES?
53 Or does it only encrypt a file that's afterwards loop mounted?
54
55 > If you want to know what, specifically, I find more difficult about
56 > cryptsetup, it is the documentation.
57
58 Well.
59
60 > The grand sum of documentation
61 > available for dm-crypt/cryptsetup after doing an 'emerge cryptsetup' is
62 > "cryptsetup --help".
63
64 Well. I didn't need more.
65
66 > And yes, I know there are better guides online, but it is not always
67 > possible to go online.
68
69 Well. Download the stuff and print it, or something. For me, it's
70 always possible to go online.
71
72 > Also, I wanted to be able to change my password. With loop-AES, this is
73 > a simple matter of re-encrypting my key file with a new password.
74 > cryptsetup makes this more difficult. Not impossible, just more difficult.
75
76 Well, no. It IS impossible. You need to create a new crypted device.
77
78 > <advice>
79 > Also, echoing your password on a command line to cryptsetup is an
80 > extremely bad idea. If an attacker happens to be on your system at that
81 > moment, a simple 'ps' will show them your passphrase.
82
83 How?
84
85 /bin/crypsetup < file-with-passphrase
86
87 Where does the attacker see the passphrase?
88
89 Oh. You took my example way too literally. *echo*ing the password
90 is an extremely bad idea. You're of course right. But in reality
91 I of course don't do that. Further, I said, that the password can
92 be piped to cryptsetup.
93
94 Alexander Skwar
95 --
96 Paul: Good way to avoid frostbite, folks, put your hands between
97 your buttocks. That's nature's pocket.
98 --
99 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list