From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] re: about the 2007.1
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2007 18:45:06
1 On Friday 09 November 2007, Dale wrote:
2 > Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 > > On Fri, 9 Nov 2007 07:21:36 -0500, David Relson wrote:
4 > >> Some efforts were also made with the command line installer. My
5 > >> problem there was typing and overlooking details. If I mistyped
6 > >> something (or forgot to enter needed info) and went on to the next
7 > >> screen, there was no way to go back and correct the mistake/oversight.
8 > >
9 > > There is no command line "installer" just a series of commands to be run
10 > > in a shell. If you miss one, go and do it. Bash doesn't need a back
11 > > button.
12 > >
13 > >> I've not yet updated to the AMD64 version of Gentoo because of the
14 > >> painful memories of the initial installation.
15 > >
16 > > You probably learned a lot from that pain, try it again and you'll
17 > > probably find it much easier.
18 >
19 > And when you are typing in a command, the tab key can be your best
20 > friend. I have found that the tab key can cut a lot of typing and typos
21 > out of the process.
22
23 I guess the "go-back" button would be the up arrow which should show you the
24 previous bash command in history.
25
26 Anyway, my 2c's on this topic:
27
28 I have used graphic installers. Two days ago I installed SUSE and three days
29 ago I installed Ubuntu for two different users with different needs and
30 preferences. Of course I have been through the Gentoo install handbook a few
31 times. The first two or three installs I had to bootstrap from Stage 1 -
32 ooohhh, I'll get all nostalgic now. :)
33
34 As it happens I have not installed Gentoo from the ground up for some time
35 now, a stage 4 and a remerge with suitable flags for the new box is all I
36 needed to do the last few times. If the need arises (e.g. a hardened
37 production server) I may wipe the slate clean and perhaps even try the new
38 installer; but thoughts already expressed regarding available memory and
39 speed of installation will probably dominate in my choice of installation
40 method. Either way, by virtue of the fact that I have not yet tried the GUI
41 installer I am not qualified to say much, just an opinion (and a few
42 hypotheses):
43
44 I can see both sides of the argument and I think that a super slick installer,
45 which does not error out in 9 out of 10 install candidates, *will* attract
46 new users. I also think that when a Gentoo-ified DE/portage pops up a
47 message informing the new user of a number of packages that are ready to be
48 updated (like e.g. MS Windows and Ubuntu do) the new user will probably be
49 comfortable to press a button and launch an emerge process. What I can't see
50 happening - other than bitching in every forum and M/L about borked systems -
51 is the new user readily picking up the pieces when something goes wrong. An
52 underlying basic understanding of portage and Gentoo mechanics is I suggest
53 necessary, for our hypothetical new user. The chosen few will have the
54 will/inclination (and time) to learn, others (the majority) will not. The
55 net effect without some pilot study is difficult to assess, but my guess is
56 that overall it will be negative. The few new users we might gain will be at
57 the cost of significant bad press from the many that we lose.
58
59 In conclusion, since (from what I hear) Gentoo does not have a slick installer
60 and it definitely does not have a Ubuntu/MS Windows style zero-knowledge(TM)
61 automated update system, I would vote to stay with the Gentoo handbook.
62 Improve that if you wish.
63
64 Thanks for listening.
65 --