From: maxim wexler <blissfix@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] no more NV_SATA, etc support in kernel?
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 16:33:08
1 Hello everybody,
2
3 I note NV_SATA, SIL_SATA, CONFIG_FORCEDETH and
4 whatever other options are no longer offered in make
5 menuconfig for the stage3 tarballed kernel 2.6.12-r6
6 or for the latest 2.6.14-r2. These are precisely the
7 options my board, Asus K8NE w/nVidia and Sil3114,
8 requires for SATA drives and the onboard ethernet.
9
10 When the PC boots, and it _does_ boot off /dev/sda2,
11 it can't detect /dev/sda6 where / lives and crashes
12 just at the point of detecting it:
13 ...
14 VFS: Cannot open root device "sda6" or
15 unknown-block(0,0)
16 Please append a correct "root=" boot option
17 Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root
18 fs on unknown-block(0,0)
19
20 Ah, but those very drivers are in the kernel used by
21 the LiveCD to boot. Plus, they're part of the config
22 file it uses.
23
24 What gives? I note the config options include
25 CONFIG_SCSI_SATA under low-level SCSI drivers; is that
26 all that's required.
27
28 Also a very curious file in /usr/portage/distfiles:
29 NVIDIA-Linux-x86-10=6626-pkg1.run. Anybody know what
30 this is for? No ebuilds correspond to it as far as I
31 can tell although it must be part of some package or
32 other.
33
34 -mw
40 Yahoo! Mail - PC Magazine Editors' Choice 2005
41 http://mail.yahoo.com
42 --
43 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list