From: Raymond Lewis Rebbeck <dystopianray@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ipw2200 chipset mini wireless card
Date: Fri, 05 May 2006 14:36:23
1 On Friday, May 5 2006 23:22, Jeremy Olexa wrote:
2 > Does anyone really know what the difference is? I originally used the
3 > ebuilds because I could only assume that they will be more up to date.
4 > But now I realize that new kernels come out pretty quick so I don't
5 > think this is the case. Anyone have insight?
6
7 The ebuilds are more up to date. The in-kernel ipw2200 (as of 2.6.16) is based
8 on version 1.0.8. kernel 2.6.17 features an even newer version. Using the
9 ebuild means that you must remove ieee80211 from the kernel, which from what
10 i understand means that you can no longer use any of the other wireless
11 drivers which require it in the kernel.
14 Raymond Lewis Rebbeck
15 --
16 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list