From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Disable remote login for certain user
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 19:03:55
1 >> >> an ssh config setting, in shorewall, or somewhere else?
2 >> >
3 >> > You can:
4 >> >
5 >> > 1) use pam as described by Mike
6 >> >
7 >> > or
8 >> >
9 >> > 2) use sshd_config "AllowUsers"
10 >>
11 >> Thanks a lot, I went with 'AllowUsers root' in sshd_config since sshd
12 >> is the only service running on the system.
13 >
14 > I really would not do that. Instead create a user to log in and su to root.
15 > Root should not be allowed to log in - way to risky.
16
17 Is the idea to put 2 passwords in the way of gaining root access? The
18 problem is twice as many passwords to memorize. Even if the 2
19 passwords are the same, I suppose they would have to come up with the
20 username too which is a (thin) extra layer.
21
22 Is that done with 'AllowUsers user'?
23
24 - Grant