From: Roy Wright <royw@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Internal dynamic IPs
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 06:27:17
1 Howdy,
2
3 I have two machines that are regularly moved between two sub-nets.
4 One a gentoo desktop, the other (boo hiss) that sorry excuse for an
5 operating system laptop. Now the two subnets are my hardware VPN
6 at home, and the office. Both machines need DHCP. I also have a third
7 box (gentoo) at home on a static ip. Now I mostly access the laptop via
8 VNC over ssh and via scp, rsync, and unison for file transfers. We do
9 not have dynamic DNS available internally. What I currently do is just
10 use nmblookup on the WINS name for each box and update the /etc/hosts
11 file (actually I use a down and dirty perl script to do the update). This
12 works as long as I remember to do it prior to trying to ssh to the laptop.
13 If I forget, then sometimes the gentoo systems seems to get the old IP
14 stuck in cache somewhere where I haven't figured out how to clear it,
15 except by (gag) rebooting. I know, my ignorance.
16
17 So I'm wondering if there is a better solution and also how to clear
18 the name server cache.
19
20 Thank you,
21 Roy