From: lee <lee@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerging with distcc: What's taking so long?
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2016 18:10:14
1 Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk> writes:
2
3 > On Tuesday 05 January 2016 14:18:12 lee wrote:
4 >
5 >> Is there a way to offload the preprocessing to the server, and can
6 >> compiling on localhost be avoided as much as possible somehow?
7 >
8 > Try Neil's suggestion of using a chroot and NFS exporting. I use it here to
9 > good effect.
10
11 I must be missing his posting?
12
13 So export / via NFS, mount it on the server and chroot into it? That
14 might not work because of the stupid multilib requirement: The server
15 is no-multilib, the client is not.
16
17 Of course, I installed the client no-multilib and found that gnome
18 cannot be installed on no-multilib, so I had to reinstall. Then I
19 decided to use KDE because I don't want systemd, and installing gnome
20 without it is a PITA.
21
22 However, I don't see why gnome --- or anything else --- should require
23 multilib. It's not like I'd want to run anything 32bit.
24
25 Why are there no no-multilib profiles when you need a desktop profile?
26
27 It has taken two days now to install Gentoo, and it's still not finished
28 ...