From: Ian Zimmerman <itz@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Issues with AMD_IOMMU
Date: Tue, 16 May 2017 02:34:09
1 On 2017-05-15 14:33, Corbin Bird wrote:
2
3 > Gigabyte has long been known to ship 'broken for Linux' e820 firmware.
4 > 'e820' is basically the APG Aperature setup in the firmware.
5 > Gigabyte kills OR overrides the IOMMU support in the firmware, to setup
6 > the AGP Aperature.
7 >
8 > Closed source / binary video drivers WANT an AGP Aperature.
9
10 So is _that_ what it's all about? Is the default assumption that I run
11 non-free video drivers? Why? I _never_ use these, and if you bet on me
12 using them in the future and win the bet, you can probably make a cool
13 million or two.
14
15 > The kernel wants an IOMMU on x86_64, as an IOMMU.
16
17 But it has one! The GART_IOMMU. It was even added specifically for
18 Linux, according to kernel.org discussions I remember seeing but can't
19 locate now.
20
21 I also found [1] , which I think is the clearest and most human-oriented
22 explanation of this issue, yet. And ... the recommendation is pretty
23 much the opposite of yours. The ball is in your court, sir.
24
25 > > CONFIG_X86_X2APIC=y
26
27 I did this long ago, and it has no effect - still only one is found,
28 according to dmesg. As I wrote in the earlier thread.
29
30 Also, the Kconfig help for this option says it does something quite
31 different.
32
33 > > CONFIG_X86_MPPARSE=y
34
35 Ok, this one I have not set so far. Will read up on it and try,
36
37 [1]
38 http://bogdan.org.ua/2009/09/30/iommu-this-costs-you-64-mb-of-ram.html
41 Please *no* private Cc: on mailing lists and newsgroups
42 Personal signed mail: please _encrypt_ and sign
43 Don't clear-text sign:
44 http://primate.net/~itz/blog/the-problem-with-gpg-signatures.html