From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] USB mass storage device slow in Gentoo, fast in Windows...?
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2009 04:01:50
1 On Sat, Dec 26, 2009 at 7:00 PM, Hung Dang <hungptit@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 12/26/09 15:54, Paul Hartman wrote:
3 >> Hi,
4 >>
5 >> I got a Nokia N900 linux internet tablet/phone a few days ago, and
6 >> when I connect it in USB Mass Storage mode to a Windows Vista computer
7 >> I can write at 17MB/sec, but when I connect it to my Gentoo box my
8 >> writes are really slow, between 500-900kb/sec depending on if I mount
9 >> in "sync" mode or not. As far as I know it should be just a totally
10 >> standard/generic mass storage device. (there were no drivers or
11 >> software install needed in windows, it just worked)
12 >>
13 >> Other USB devices plugged into the same port go full speed, and AFAIK
14 >> everything appears as if it should be high speed USB 2.0. Has anyone
15 >> seen something like this before? I'm not sure what the deal is. It
16 >> takes 20 minutes to copy 1 gigabyte from Linux and takes just under 1
17 >> minute to do the same in Windows.
18 >>
19 >> I'm not sure about debugging USB or what the options are. Everything
20 >> I've used previously has worked without any hassle.
21 > Have you received a lot of debugging messages at the output of dmesg
22 > when copying files?
23 >
24 > Hung
25
26 No errors, no strange messages at all, it seems normal (only slow). I
27 have other USB devices like SD card reader, external HDD, and they
28 perform at full speed when plugged into the same port, so it's weird
29 to me.
30
31 Thanks
32 Paul