From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Why RAID1?
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 20:02:03
1 >> I'm about to buy a couple Samsung Spinpoint F1 hard drives and I was
2 >> planning on setting them up in a RAID0 array. Everyone seems to love
3 >> RAID1 though, and I'm a little confused as to why. Don't daily
4 >> backups secure 99% of the data that RAID1 does? They even protect in
5 >> the event of theft or fire which RAID1 doesn't.
6 >>
7 >> If one hard drive dies in a RAID1 array, does the system keep running?
8 >> If so, that's good, but there are so many other components that could
9 >> die. In 15 years I've lost the power supply, video card, modem,
10 >> motherboard, and CPU, but never a hard drive. With all these
11 >> potential points of failure, how much greater system reliability do
12 >> mirrored hard drives really offer?
13 >
14 > In fifteen years I've lost roughly fifteen hard drives and one power supply.
15 > Hard drives have moving parts and that equals failures. Congratulations on
16 > being lucky, though you have wonder why so many thing that don't normally
17 > have issues are having issues in your system. :-)
18
19 Do you guys think RAID1 is unnecessary with an SLC SSD drive?
20
21 I actually did lose one or two laptop hard drives now that I think
22 about it. The other stuff:
23
24 power supply - cheapness
25 video cards - heat
26 modem - lightning
27 motherboard and CPU - overclocking (never again)
28
29 - Grant