From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: nfs server sometimes not available - timeo and retrans
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 22:45:52
1 On 09/24/2012 10:18 AM, Andrew Lowe wrote:
2 > Hi all, Just want to check something with those much more
3 > knowledgeable that I am. I have a media computer which exports the
4 > media as nfs4 shares. My workstation in turn mounts these - it's the
5 > only device that does this. If the media device is not on, and
6 > exporting these shares, the workstation gets caught up in the boot
7 > process, timing out and retrying, trying to find the nonexistant nfs
8 > shares, which takes ages.
9 >
10 > Is the correct things to fiddle to try and tune this the timeo and
11 > retrans variables in fstab? I want it to time out after 10 seconds
12 > and no retries. I'm thinking the mount entries become:
13 >
14 > ... ... ... 192.168.14.1:/movies /mnt/movies nfs4
15 > rw,timeo=100,retrans=0 0 0 ... ... ...
18 I find that I had to use actimeo=n instead of just timeo because (apparently)
19 there are several different timers involved in nfs mounting. (man 5 nfs)