From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: USB SDHC Card Reader works, but only if mounted first in WinXP virtual machine
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 23:33:57
1 On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 9:37 AM, Paul Hartman
2 <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > I have a USB SDHC card reader whose partition table is not read, and
6 > device node not created, when plugged into my Gentoo Linux computer. I
7 > posted about this a year or two ago but was never able to get it
8 > working, until I recently made an accidental discovery:
9 >
10 > If I let a VMWare WinXP take control of the USB device, on the same
11 > physical linux machine as above, the card reader mounts normally in
12 > the virtual WinXP. Then, if I release the USB device from VMware,
13 > Linux takes control of the device back and can read the partition
14 > table and creates the device node normally. After that everything
15 > works fine, I can copy files to/from etc. and everything seems normal.
16
17 BradN on the Forums suggested "hdparm -z" to force the kernel to
18 re-read the partition table, and this works. Much easier than using a
19 virtual machine!