From: Grand Duet <grand.duet@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Any real need to switch python targets back and forth every month?
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2018 14:34:37
1 2018-07-26 16:01 GMT+03:00 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>:
2 > On Thu, 26 Jul 2018 13:44:28 +0300, Grand Duet wrote:
3 >
4 >> Before switching python_targets for the first time, you could use your
5 >> news system to inform Gentoo users that
6 >> 1) you are switching python_targets
7 >
8 > Like the one on May 22nd titled "Python 3.6 to become the default target"?
9 >
10 >> and so, those who really want to have a stable Gentoo system should
11 >> 1) do such and such changes to their config files and
12 >
13 > Like in the aforementioned news item?
14 >
15 > FWIW I had no problem with the profile change and locked my system at 3.6
16 > to save switching back when the profile did so.
17
18 Ok. There was such a news. However, I have actually followed the following
19 recommendation in it, before the last python_target switch from 3.5 to 3.6:
20
21 If you would like to postpone the switch to Python 3.6, you can copy
22 the current value of PYTHON_TARGETS and/or PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET
23 to /etc/portage/make.conf or its equivalent:
24
25 PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_5"
26 PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_5"
27
28 but the emerge gave strange errors mentioned above and aborted.