From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] One line script for md5sum
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 00:13:22
1 On Sunday 14 December 2008 01:49:50 Mick wrote:
2 > Hi All,
3 >
4 > Is there a clever way to enter a string (rather than write a script file)
5 > so that md5sum will check a whole series of files in one go and report
6 > success or error; I was thinking along the lines of if $value is ... then
7 > md5sum -c ..., but my non-existent scripting knowledge won't take me any
8 > further. I want it to check a series of files named tokena, tokenb,
9 > tokenc, ... , etc.
10
11 You are not being very clear about what you want. When you say "check", what
12 does that mean? Do you want to test if the files are OK? Then you would
13 already have the md5sums so you should use md5sum -c
14
15 To generate the sums, just run md5sum <filename>
16
17 In any event, I think you need a fancy for loop. To run the same command on
18 every file in a directory:
19
20 for I in * ; do <your command here> ; done
21
22 for a list of named files:
23
24 for I in file1, file2 ; do <command> ; done
25
26 for a list of files with a clear name structure:
27
28 for I in a b c d ; do <command> token${I} ; done
29 or
30 for I in $(seq 1 10) ; do <command> token${I} ; done
31
32 The last two are insanely useful. Replace <command> with whatever you need to
33 be run over and over
36 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com