From: Mrugesh Karnik <mrugeshkarnik@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Xorg.. twm not starting and terrible performance with fluxbox
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 21:18:16
1 Hi,
2
3 I just installed Gentoo on an AMD64 Sempron machine. RAM is not a
4 problem.. 1GB of it.
5
6 I just emerged xorg-x11. The graphics card is VIA Unichrome onboard. I
7 have a perfectly fine working FC4 system. I used the FC4 xorg.conf file.
8 First ran Xorg -configure. Kept all the paths from Gentoo and filled in
9 stuff like mouse, keyboard, monitor and graphics card configuration from
10 the FC4 file. I tested the file with X -config /root/xorg.config.fc4 and
11 it worked fine. I then copied it to /etc/X11/xorg.conf and gave startx.
12 But twm refused to start. I could just a see a black screen with a black
13 X mouse pointer in the middle. I moved it and it was lagging very badly.
14 So I killed the X server and emerged fluxbox.
15
16 Fluxbox started fine. But when I tried to open xedit.. it went terribly
17 slow.. Same thing with xcalc. People in #xorg on Freenode told me that I
18 needed to look for via_drv.o module. I didn't find it. Xorg doesn't
19 install it. vesa gives very bad performance as stated above.
20 Interestingly, vesa is what FC4 uses and it runs absolutely fine!
21
22 What am I to do? I would appreciate any help anyone can offer!
23
24 Thank you,
25 Mrugesh
26 --