From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Ssh problem : solved but weird
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2019 15:13:00
1 On 12 March 2019 15:10:24 GMT, Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net> wrote:
2 >190312 Philip Webb wrote:
3 >> Progress, but still a puzzle. I commented the lines in /etc/...
4 >> & when I use the IP, not the URL, the connection goes thro' ;
5 >> when I use the URL, it still doesn't. Here's the output :
6 > ... skip ...
7 >> So why does IP vs URL make a difference ??
8 >
9 >Thanks to Nuno Silva : it seems to use only the URL or IP,
10 >depending on which you specify in the config file.
11 >When I copy the 2 lines, but substitute the URL for the IP,
12 >the command also goes thro' properly.
13 >
14 >This is weird : I would expect Ssh to copy all the info in the file,
15 >then use whatever applies once it's made contact.
16 >What it seems to do is look for an exact match from the command line
17 >& if it doesn't find it, it then ignores the rest.
18 >There doesn't seem to be an explicit account of this in the man file.
19 >
20 >So the real-life problem has been solved, but the man file needs
21 >correcting.
22
23 Give both the address and URL on the Host line.
24 --
25 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.