From: stosss <stosss@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: iptables - do I need the nat table?
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 17:22:12
1 On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 8:31 AM, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On 2010-04-11 9:20 AM, Graham Murray wrote:
3 >> Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> writes:
4 >>> I'm a bit clueless when it comes to firewalls, and have no idea what
5 >>> these numbers mean/do:
6 >>>
7 >>> *raw
8 >>> :PREROUTING ACCEPT [4911:886011]
9 >>> :OUTPUT ACCEPT [4546:2818732]
10 >>> COMMIT
11 >
12 >> The numbers are [packets:bytes] which match the rule or table
13 >> concerned.
14 >
15 > Ok, so... I still don't know what they *mean*... ie, is this a hole in
16 > my firewall? What is the raw table used for, in plain english?
17 >
18 > More importantly though...
19 >
20 > When I try to remove the nat and raw tables from my firewall, they don't
21 > go away. I have always kept my rules in a separate file, and when I want
22 > to make changes, I change the external file, then do iptables-restore <
23 > /path/to/iptables-current.
24 >
25 > (My rule set is very small, so this only takes a second or two, so its
26 > not/never been a problem)
27 >
28 > I've been doing it this way for a long time, and all other changes I
29 > have ever made - eg, opening a certain port for a certain host - work
30 > fine, but, when I comment out the raw and nat tables, then restore the
31 > rules, then do iptables-save > path/to/iptables-current-dump, the
32 > examined file still shows the raw and nat tables loaded... ???
36 Here is a very useful book. I think he is the expert. He will answer email.
37
38 LINUX FIREWALLS
39 Attack Detection and Response with iptables, psad, and fwsnort
40 by Michael Rash
41
42 ISBN-10: 1-59327-141-7
43 ISBN-13: 978-1-59327-141-1
44
45 No Starch Press, Inc.
46 555 De Haro Street, Suite 250, San Francisco, CA 94107
47 phone: 415.863.9900; fax: 415.863.9950; info@××××××××.com; www.nostarch.com
48
49 Librar y of Congress Cataloging-in-Publication Data
50
51 Rash, Michael.
52 Linux firewalls : attack detection and response with iptables, psad,
53 and fwsnort / Michael Rash.
54 p. cm.
55 Includes index.
56 ISBN-13: 978-1-59327-141-1
57 ISBN-10: 1-59327-141-7
58 1. Computers--Access control. 2. Firewalls (Computer security) 3.
59 Linux. I. Title.
61 005.8--dc22
62 2006026679
65 If we can but prevent the government from wasting the labours of the
66 people, under the pretence of taking care of them, they must become
67 happy. - Thomas Jefferson