From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Beta test Gentoo with mdev instead of udev; version 5
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 14:19:50
1 On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 07:27:05 -0400 (EDT)
2 Daddy <daddy@×××××××××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On March 11, 2012 at 5:09 AM Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
5 > wrote:
6 >
7 > > This revision makes 2 changes...
8 > >
9 > > A) The removal of udev is now standard instead of optional.
10 > > udev-181 and higher will be pulling in kmod, and anything else that
11 > > kmod depends on. Removing udev will avoid unnecessary cruft on
12 > > your machine.
13 > >
14 > > B) Splitting up step 3) into 3a) and 3b) for greater clarity as
15 > > requested in user feedback.
16 > >
17 > > The usual warnings apply...
18 > > * this is a beta
19 > > * use a spare test machine
20 > > * if you don't follow the instructions correctly, the result might
21 > > be an unbootable linux
22 > > * even if you do follow instructions, the result might be an
23 > > unbootable linux
26 > > 1) Set up your kernel to support and automount a devtmpfs
27 > > filesystem at /dev
28 > >
29 > > * If you prefer to edit .config directly, set
30 > > CONFIG_DEVTMPFS=y and CONFIG_DEVTMPFS_MOUNT=y
31 > >
32 > > * If you prefer "make menuconfig", the route is as shown below.
33 > > Note that the "Autount devtmpfs..." option won't appear until you
34 > > enable "Maintain a devtmpf..." option.
35 > >
36 > > make menuconfig
37 > > Device Drivers --->
38 > > Generic Driver Options --->
39 > > [*] Maintain a devtmpfs filesystem to mount at /dev
40 > > [*] Automount devtmpfs at /dev, after the kernel mounted the
41 > rootfs
42 > >
43 > > Once you've made the changes, rebuild the kernel.
46 > > 2) Set up for emerging busybox. busybox requires the "mdev" flag in
47 > > this situation. The "static" flag is probably also a good idea. In
48 > > file /etc/portage/package.use add the line
49 > >
50 > > sys-apps/busybox static mdev
51 > >
52 > > Now, "emerge busybox"
55 > > 3 a) Create /sbin/linuxrc containing at least
56 > >
57 > > #!/bin/busybox ash
58 > > mount -t proc proc /proc
59 > > mount -t sysfs sysfs /sys
60 > > exec /sbin/init
61 > >
62 > > This should be enough for most users. If you have an unusual
63 > > setup, you may need additional stuff in there. Remember to
64 > > "chmod 744 /sbin/linuxrc" to make it executable.
65 > >
66 > > In the bootloader "append" line, include "init=/sbin/linuxrc". If
67 > > you're using lilo remember to re-run lilo to implement the
68 > > changes. If you're using another bootloader, make the equivalant
69 > > initialization.
72 > > 4) Remove udev from the services list, and replace it with mdev.
73 > > Type the following 2 commands at the command line
74 > > rc-update del udev sysinit
75 > > rc-update add mdev sysinit
78 > > 5) reboot to your new kernel. You're now running without using
79 > > udev.
82 > > 6) Remove udev as per the following instructions...
83 > >
84 > > * execute the following command at the commandline
85 > > emerge --unmerge sys-fs/udev
86 > >
87 > > * In file /atc/portage/package.mask, append the line
88 > > sys-fs/udev
89 > > Create the file if it doesn't already exist. You now have a
90 > > totally udev-free machine
91 > >
92 > > --
93 > > Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
96 > Having personally long considered Lennart Poettering a 'spawn of the
97 > devil' my question is ... is this your reaction to systemd?
100 No, it's his reaction to the fantastical amount of kitchen-sinking
101 going on surrounding udev. Most specifically, it's the recent
102 "requirement" foisted on the udev-using community to require
103 either /usr to be part of / or to use an initramfs.
104
105 Walter simply wants to show that mdev is a suitable replacement for
106 udev in simple environments eg embedded, simple desktops without
107 complex hotplug requirements, and servers.
108
109 Canek will no doubt chip in about how this is the way things are going,
110 it is inevitable, the boot sequence is becoming complex and various
111 other rehashings of what's coming out of udev upstream.
112
113 However, something needs to be pointed out in that regard. What udev
114 upstream is saying is probably quite true, but only within the limits
115 of the environment in which they work and udev is designed to handle -
116 sophisticated desktops. The three cases I mentioned are perfectly valid
117 use-cases, comprise a large percentage of the Linux installed base,
118 should be catered to and have no need of the sophistication current
119 udev aims to provide.
120
121 As such, mdev is a good fit and we can add Walter to the long list of
122 people before him who selflessly worked to make our software work
123 better.
126 > One minor typo to point out:
127 >
128 > /atc/portage/package.mask should be /etc/portage/package.mask
129 >
130 > I just joined this list last week, but might consider sacrificing some
131 > hardware to join your endeavor if you need more testers.
134 Welcome to the list, you'll soon get to know all the personalities
135 here. We have at least one of everything - class clowns, old farts,
136 newbies, voices of reason, influential devs and even the occasional
137 fellow who knows what he's talking about.
138
139 :-)
145 Alan McKinnnon
146 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com