From: Tully Gray <tully.gray@×××××××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Is Hardened profile and SELinux support active?
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2020 16:59:43
1 >> Hi everyone,
2 >>
3 >> I am very new to Gentoo and I am currently migrating from Arch.
4 >> Gentoo attracts me with a freedom of system configuration and with multiple
5 >> supported architectures.
6 >>
7 >> I was attracted by Hardened profile described at [1][2][3]
8 >> But reading [1] I also got confused because it looks like it is no longer
9 >> maintained.
10 >>
11 >> So the question is it just outdated wiki page? Is anyone using Hardened
12 >> profile? Is it maintained? In Archlinux SELinux is not supported officially
13 >> so this is why I am looking around.
14 >>
15 >> Thanks/
16 >>
17 >> [1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Hardened[1]
18 >> [2] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Hardened/FAQ[2]
19 >> [3] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Hardened_Gentoo[3]
20
21 >I have never used a Hardened profile and have not followed up what happened
22 >after the GRSecurity developer abandoned his code development.[1]
23 >https://grsecurity.net/passing_the_baton
24 >Someone else could comment on the future of Gentoo Hardened, but I am posting
25 >this message having noticed your message may have not made it through to some
26 >recipients (the dreaded DMARC caused a DKIM header failure again).
27
28 I have fairly recently (in the last six months) converted my Gentoo systems to
29 use SELinux. The process was relatively painless and the quality of the
30 documentation was very good. Already in this short period of time I have
31 updated all systems with a new SELinux policy. Portage (Gentoo's package
32 manager) appears to handle policy updates quite well and the update took place
33 without any major problems. The main dev responsible of SELinux on Gentoo is
34 approachable and knowledgeable.
35
36 I'd say that SELinux on Gentoo seems to be in rather good health!
37
38 Tully.